Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The 14th Annual Michigan Summer Beer Festival: A Recap

A bit of the Short's Brewing Co's set up in the "Back Forty"
I’m a Michigander originally and have been attending the Michigan Brewer’s Guild’s winter beer festivals since I could drink beer. This year, I decided to make it a priority to get to the Summer Festival because these events are truly a blast. They allow both amateur and expert beer lovers alike a chance to get a taste of everything Michigan has to offer, all in one setting. Considering the limited distribution and availability of some of these breweries, it’s truly a treat to be able to experience them all together. This was my first summer fest, and it won’t be my last.

Held in Ypsilanti, Michigan, the festival hosts over 60 Michigan breweries large and small. Well known breweries like Bell’s, New Holland, and Dark Horse have nice long lines and lots of special beers on tap. At this particular event, there were six separate Dark Horse tables to accommodate the brews they brought. Alongside these breweries are start-ups like Odd Side Ales from Grand Haven, or brew pub restaurants like Big Rock Chop House. I won’t lie; you’re likely to find a few “dud” breweries mixed in with the great craft beer here. I personally wouldn’t waste a token on someone like Schmoz’s if you can have Short’s instead.
Uh oh, my beer is gone!

It was a hot day Saturday. I arrived about an hour early and was let in within 5 minutes of the start time, despite being somewhat deep into the line. Each ticket affords you 15 three ounce pours, although it’s up to a brewery if they’ll give you a bit more. There was also a lot of great local food at this festival, from some of the breweries as well as other well-known restaurants. It’s important to have a full stomach at an event like this. Since it was about 90 degrees outside plus humidity, I was glad to see ample water stations as well. But let’s get back to what really matters: THE BEER. I have included a full list of what I tried, with links available if possible. I had a few favorites, which I will speak to more now.

Jolly Pumpkin was a favorite of my companion (let’s call him The Wolf). It was hard to get The Wolf away from the Jolly Pumpkin tent, honestly. I think he spent about a third of his tokens there. I can’t really argue with him, though. Jolly Pumpkin has really got a knack for great sour beers.  The Biere de Mars Grand Reserve was a personal favorite of mine at this festival, and a nice change from their white ale, which had originally been my favorite brew of theirs.

I was also incredibly impressed with The Livery. The staff was friendly and helpful when I visited their station, which was located on a gazebo overlooking the river. It was the perfect setting to catch a breeze and try their delicious RuneMeister. I can’t say I am incredibly familiar with imperial pilsners, but this one was balanced, with the honey masking the fact that it was nearly 10%. The Wolf and I were taken aback at how refreshing this imperial draft was and were pretty tempted to make a second trip until we remembered we were late for the tapping of Founders’ Blushing Monk!

Me and the Blushing Monk

If there was any brewery I would most identify with, it’s Founders. I spent my twenty first birthday in their tap room and have continued to love them since that time. So when I heard that I might finally get a chance to try the Blushing Monk, a raspberry beer that is often considered the imperial version of their Rubaeus, I was stoked! Blushing Monk hasn’t been brewed since 2007 and it was just released in very limited amounts this month. Founders’ own staff was only allowed two bottles of the stuff – it’s that limited! I have to say, this beer fully lived up to its reputation. If you’re not typically a fruit beer drinker, this certainly isn’t your typical Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. The deep red color warns of its high fruit content, but the taste is incredible. If beer and seedless raspberry jam ever had a love child, it would be this beer. If you come across it – do not hesitate. Buy it immediately. Then mail it to me.

I want to say a lot more about each of these beers, but I think it would be better for you to experience them for yourselves. I have tried to link each of them to their info on beeradvocate.com or ratebeer.com, but some of them are so limited that you might only find them in the tap room or at one of the Michigan Beer Festivals. Hope to see you all there next summer!


Myself with "Chug" of Odd Side Ales and Siciliano's Market and "The Wolf"

1 comment:

  1. didn't have your email id so, here it is thanks for the interview. :)

    ReplyDelete